BackScratcher Implementation Ideas
1. Place a deck in the Plexiglas dispenser (or in a businesscard holder). Position it on the front desk or some other highly visible area of your practice. Wait for your most curious patients to help themselves to a card. Replenish the dispenser as needed.
2. Place a deck in the Plexiglas dispenser. Position it on the front desk or some other highly visible area of your practice. As each patient is acknowledged at the front desk at the beginning of each visit the CA says, “You look like you could use a good back scratch. Here you go,” handing the top card to the patient.
3. The cards are kept behind the front desk. As patients sign in at the front desk, the CA asks, “Are you familiar with the game Trivial Pursuit?” Regardless of the patient’s answer she hands a card to the patient observing, “Here’s our chiropractic version of Trivial Pursuit. Good luck!”
4. The cards are kept behind the front desk. As patients sign in at the front desk, the CA asks, “Have you ever bought one of those scratch off lottery tickets?” Regardless of the patient’s answer, she the patient holds up a card, “This is our chiropractic version. The odds are one in four and what you win is a better understanding of good health. Want to play?”
5. The chiropractor keeps an inventory of cards in the adjusting room(s). At the conclusion of each visit the patient is asked, “Would you care for a free chiropractic lottery ticket?” If the patient exhibits curiosity, present a card. “It’s simple. Just review this little chiropractic factoid and then scratch off the best answer on the back.”
A few patients might respond with, “So what do I get if I get it right?” You could respond with something like, “Oh, you get the most valuable thing in the world. (Pause) Better health.”
6. At your report of findings, present an entire deck to your new patient. “We take our responsibility as a teacher very seriously, but we want our patients to have some fun in the process. These are BackScratcher cards. There are 60 of them. On the front is a brief message about some aspect of chiropractic. On the back is a sentence completion with four possible answers. You simply scratch off the best answer. Let’s do the first one together.”
Read one of your favorite cards and go through the four answers and either congratulate them if they get it correct, or coach them to the correct answer. “Our patients love these because it makes learning so much fun.”
You might consider offering a free visit or some other premium for getting, say, 50 of the 60 cards correct with one scratch.
7. Personalized with a new patient offer and your practice details, BackScratchers make the perfect leave-behind for screenings, lectures and outreach events.
Have some other ideas? Share them with us and we'll share them with the world!